Sunday, April 27, 2008

Slow and steady, wins the race....

Well, I didn't win the race...I didn't even come close to winning, but I sure was slow! I did my first triathlon on Saturday! It was quite the experience, but a rewarding one! My whole goal was to finish the race without stopping, and I did that, so I was very happy!

For those of you who know me well, know I am NOT athletic AT ALL. Autumn is the athletic one out of us girls. When she started thinking about doing a triathlon a while back, I thought, "Good for you, but PLEASE don't ask me to do it with you". Of course I never said that, and she never asked. But one evening when we went out dinner with our friend Tracy, who did track with Autumn up at the U (so you know what kind of athletes they are), she tried to convince us to do a triathlon with her up at the U. I gave it some thought, and I knew Autumn really wanted to do it, but really wanted someone to workout with her, so I thought I'd atleast workout with her, but there is NO WAY that I would actually do the triathlon. When I found out that it is ONLY a 300 yard swim, 8 mile bike (off road) and a 3.1 mile run, I thought that it may be do-able, so I decided to train and do it. Thanks to Casey, Autumn and I were able to train almost everyday for the last two months. Casey would watch the boys while Autumn and I would go workout.

That morning, I was NERVOUS! We met Tracy up there, and she kept saying we'll do fine. I wasn't worried about the swimming or the running, but I was really worried about the off road biking, because we had never trained off road. I did the swim fine (minus the girl who had to pass me because I was slow and the other two girls close behind me), biking wasn't too bad, it was actually fun! Beautiful view and it was fun going down some of those hills...going up, wasn't much fun! The last part was the running. I quickly dropped my bike off and started to run. My legs felt like jello, and I was really worried they wouldn't be able to stay strong, but they did and I ran the whole 5K without stopping. The best part was the end, after coming up a hill, seeing the finish line, and seeing Casey, Gavin, Autumn (who had finished long before I had), Doug and Braxton cheering me on!

Thanks Autumn for pushing me to do this...it was a neat experience, and for the first time in my life, I was called and athlete.


I just got finished swimming, now I am quickly putting on my clothes ready to start the bike ride.

haha...don't you love my pink bike? This was the bike I had in jr. high! I think it was the only pink one there.
Casey and Doug were so supportive. Here they are waiting for us...what good husbands we have!Gavin came to support me too
Can you see my big smile? Almost to the end!
Crossing the finish line
We did it!!

5 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Yea! Congrats on your first tri! I love the pink bike by the way!

ashley said...

Go BRYNN! That is so awesome! Wow. I don't know if I could do that in only 2 months. You worked hard and you didn't stop. Good job. :)

Jessica said...

Wow, that's amazing! Way to go.

Kirsten said...

Congrats Brynn! That is really awesome. Did you do the Fourth Street Clinic Triathlon up here at the U? Those are my old stomping grounds.

Losee's said...

Yep Kirsten, it was the 4th Street Clinic. My friend, Traci Hamblin, who we did it with is also a med student and knows you.