Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sleeping through the night

Yay! Gavin has started sleeping through the night! He has always been a good sleeper, sleeping about 6 hours, but I was reading in the book "Baby Wise" and it was saying that by 6-8 weeks, they should be sleeping 7-8 hours. So I decided to follow what the book says. It is big on schedules, which I have done since he was just a tiny baby. It is a 3 hour schedule, where he eats and plays for an hour, and then sleeps for 2 hours, and then it starts all over again. The other thing the book says is when you lay them down to take a nap, lay them down awake, and let them cry themselves to sleep. I didn't want to do that when he was little, because I enjoyed rocking him to sleep, but there were a couple of nights where he kept waking up, and I thought that maybe I'd try having him fall asleep on his own, to see if it would make a difference. It was hard the first time I put him down because he cried for a while. The book said that it doesn't hurt the baby to cry for 20 minutes, just go in and pat him on the back and talk to him, but don't get him out. When I went in to check on him, I turned him over on his tummy, because he likes to lay that way, and he immediatly went to sleep. Ever since then, I just put him on his tummy, he might fuss for a few minutes, but then he is out. We did that for a couple of days, and it didn't change his sleeping at night. But 2 nights ago, he slept for 9 hours and last night he slept for 8. Also, he sleeps so well with his naps, that I have to go wake him up to feed him. If any of you are interested in the book, it is called "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam, M.D. But yay for me and Casey! Now we get to sleep!

No comments: